Beagles are known for being friendly and active, which makes them great pets for both families and individuals. At National Kennel Club, we offer dog registration to help you maintain documentation for your four-legged friend. Our services also help support your dog’s pedigree and allow them to participate in sporting events.
Here are some of the best ways to care for your beagle to ensure they stay healthy and happy for years:
1. Playful Energy. As a breed, beagles are very busy and have a lot of energy to burn. To stay fit and mentally sharp, they need to exercise often. You should plan to be active with your pup for at least 30 to 60 minutes each day. Brisk walks, runs, or playing in a safe, fenced yard are all good options.
2. Training and Socialization. Beagles are intelligent. It’s a good idea to start obedience training them early to teach them good manners and get them used to people and other dogs. This preparation also helps get them ready for sanctioned events.
3. Grooming Necessities. Beagles’ short, dense hair is relatively easy to take care of. Brushing them once a week keeps their coat healthy and gets rid of loose hair. Something to be mindful of is that beagles often get ear infections, so make sure you check their ears regularly.
4. Nutrition. Your beagle needs a healthy, well-balanced diet that fits their age, size, and amount of activity. When in doubt, ask your vet for advice on what to feed them and how often.
5. Health and Dental Care: To keep an eye on your beagle’s general health, you need to take them to the vet for regular check-ups. Talk to your vet about any health issues that are unique to your dog’s breed. Also, tooth toys and dental chews can keep plaque from building up and reduce the risk of gum disease.
Following these tips will help your furry friend have a long, happy, and healthy life as a beloved part of your family. Always remember that every dog is different, so pay attention to what your beagle wants and needs.